Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Chicken Coop this Winter


This is my chickens coop this winter, it isn't the prettiest thing but it is super functional. The coldest that I've noticed it has been is around -8 degrees here in Brigham City this winter, but I haven't had a problem with frost bite yet.


 I have a whole bale of straw in their covered run area to keep the ground comfortable for the girls.
 On days they have to stay in there coop all day I throw a handful of oats into their run and they enjoy hunting in the straw for the oats.
 I have a total of 6 hens, they share an actual coop that we bought that was meant for only 4 hens, but that is why we added the additional covered run area so they wouldn't be so crowded.
 If we had left it as it was they would have been at each other all day because there really isn't that much space for them to all be out of the coop at once in the original coop and run. I attached a hook to the underneath of the coop to hold their hanging feeder. It gives them space to eat around it and keeps it off of the ground.

 We don't have electricity in the coop, so at least three of the girls have molted this winter and only two of the girls have layed all winter long. My two best layers are they white leghorn and my golden sex link, both are pictured (slightly) above. All of my chickens except two lay different colored eggs, I have only two of the same breed, buff orphingtons, and they have not laid all winter along with my easter egger and my black hen.

 I've put random pieces of old stumps and branches in the pen for them to perch on and also a ladder-ish piece that I screwed together with old pieces of fencing we had lying around.
 they have all been really healthy and I haven't noticed an extreme pecking order problem, they know their ranks but nobody is loosing feathers over it.

2 comments:

  1. Love seeing this. I've always wondered how they do in very cold weather. My brother built a backyard coop last fall, but has not gotten his chickens yet. I'm going to send your post to him. I'm thinking he needs a run like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that we have a covered run for them, I don't need to worry about puddles and if its really windy they have 3 side walls to break the wind for them, but yet they still get plenty of sunshine and fresh air! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete