Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Lemon Pepper Tilapia and Potato Wedges ~ Eating well on a BUDGET

I love fish, I love fish so much that I once ordered cod from IHop.... no it wasn't a good idea. Naturally I think that tilapia is yummy, I like how quick and easy it is to pan fry and its not too incredibly expensive, I think I paid $11 or $12 for a 2 lb. bag of individually wrapped fish.

We have a pretty strict food budget and I'm trying to stay within my budget but still eat good food. In the previous post you can see what my meal plan was for the next two weeks. It completely covers dinners for the two weeks and most of the lunches and breakfasts although I do plan on spending about $25 or so to stock up on milk, bread and cereal because we go through these quickly. I'm hoping to make this a series of the yummy meals I prepare on a daily basis. I hope to just give you an idea of what can be made with a well stocked pantry.

Lemon Pepper Tilapia and Rosemary Sea Salt Potato Wedges

Ingredient's
Frozen Tilapia Fillets
Lemon
1 tsp. coconut oil
lemon pepper

2 large Russet Potatoes
2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp dried rosemary

I started with the Potatoes because they take 40-45 minutes to bake in a 400 degree oven
Rosemary Sea Salt Potato Wedges:
Rinse any dirt off of your potatoes, cut into wedges about a 1/2 inch thick, pour olive oil into a large bowl add salt and rosemary, drop cut wedges into bowl, toss/stir to season. Bake in a single layer on a piece of aluminum foil or parchment paper. I did sprinkle some fine salt over the tops of all of them before baking in a preheated oven (400 degrees) for 40-45 minutes. Turn the wedges over at about half way (20 minutes) to cook evenly. Serve warm with favorite sauce.

Pan Seared Lemon Pepper Tilapia
Run unopened tilapia package under some cold water for 30 seconds or so, it helps get it out of the package easier. Heat a nonstick pan on the cooktop, add coconut oil. Place tilapia on the frying pan, cut lemon in half and drizzle half of the juice on the fish. Sprinkle lemon pepper on top of fish. After about 3-4 minutes get a spatula and flip the tilapia over and cook other side for the same amount of time. I like to season both sides with lemon pepper but its just a personal preference. A cooked fish will no longer have a pink line (it will be brown) in the middle and it is flaky, if you need to cook it longer then do so. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment