Thursday, January 16, 2014

Chickens like walnuts

 These crazy little scavengers have taught me several things about what a chicken likes to eat. Aside from the obvious bugs they have really enjoyed all of the walnuts my neighbors trees have dropped into our yard. When I let them out to roam I sometimes walk over to where there are unopened nuts and step on them to crack them open for my birds.
 Other random things I have taken out to them are dry baby food cereal that I've mixed with some water, spinach that has wilted in my fridge, the left over carcass of our Christmas turkey, dry oats that I found weevils in, and almost any of our left over food as long as it didn't contain chicken.
 Its nice to know that the walnuts are being put to some good use. I personally don't care for them even though they are really good for you. My son is allergic to walnuts so I can't even sneak them into food like pie crusts if I really wanted to.
What random things have you discovered that your chickens like to eat?

No comments:

Post a Comment