Monday, April 8, 2013

Lentil Flour Brownies

I had heard once that you could make brownies with lentils; if you look it up you find lots of brownie recipes made from lentils, but they want you to cook the lentils first and I just wanted to grind mine in the mill and use lentils in place of flour. In case you are wondering I just have a stock pile of lentils and I wanted to use them :). So there wasn't any recipes for milled lentil flour brownies and I tweaked a couple recipes and put one together, and they actually taste great. I was worried because the batter definitely tasted beany but the brownies taste good and normal!! I'm no expert but this I believe is completely gluten free.
 I milled the plain lentils in the kitchen mill, it made very fine dusty powder
 this is how they looked before I put them in the oven (I had just put them in the oven and hurried and took them out for a picture so they are a bit shiner than when they went in)
 they puffed up nicely in the oven
 Milled Lentil Brownies
Recipe
  • 1/2 cup mostly melted butter (too lazy to melt the whole thing)
  • 3 tbs Agave
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tbs vanilla
  • 4 tbs cocoa powder
  • 1 cup Lentil flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • handful of semi sweet chocolate chips
preheat oven to 350 degrees, mix butter, agave and sugar, add eggs and vanilla hand blend again, add cocoa powder, lentil flour, baking soda and salt blend until smooth. pour in desired pan, I used a silicon baking pan (I'm out of cooking spray) its smaller than a 13x9 so an 8x8 pan/ pyrex would work best or they will be paper thin. Cook in oven for 25 min, cut, cool, enjoy!


 why not put some ice cream and chocolate syrup on top?
 Kid tested and approved - although Makayla didn't like the addition of chocolate chips on top.. ok.

1 comment:

  1. So, I have 7 pounds of lentil flour and now I am looking for recipes. Multiple people have posted a Pumpkin Lentil muffin recipe, but it is on Pinterest. And one of the extremely frustrating things about Pinterest is that it doesn't really have content just links. So I find this lovely sounding recipe and click on the link only to find that the source site no longer exists! So, now done with that rant. I am going to try the Lentil flour brownies that you have posted. I have a question though: should I beat the eggs before I add them?

    ReplyDelete